I’ve attempted many fitness routines on and off over the years, including the good ‘ol fashion gym, Insanity, P90X, early morning bootcamp, Tracy Anderson, Zumba, Winsor Pilates, Jackie Warner, etc. The one that stuck (and I absolutely love!) was Jillian Michaels’ Ripped in 30. It took years to find “the one.” Unfortunately, I found myself starting all over a month ago.
After months of ‘relaxing and waiting until the safe zone’, I entered my 2nd trimester and was itching for that gratifying feeling again, but Jillian Michaels’ workouts weren’t quite pregnancy safe.
In addition to being safe, these were my requirements:
- Total body toning exercises
- Stretching moves to help with pregnancy aches
- Light cardio
- No videos with happy cheesy people/music
- Between 25-40 minutes
After trying out a few, I think I found “the (prenatal) one” — a modified version of Lindsay Brin’s “How to Exercise When You’re Expecting”.
I haven’t tried her DVD, but the book explains the program well. There are different programs for each trimester.
The second trimester involves:
- 5-minute warmup (I use Jillian Michaels’ typical warmup)
- 20-minute toning (in book)
- 5-minute cardio (in book)
- 8-10 minute yoga cooldown (I use Lizbeth Garcia’s Prenatal Pilates)
So far it’s been as rewarding as those Ripped in 30 days. If you’re looking for a JM-style prenatal workout, definitely check out Lindsay Brin.