We’ve been cloth diapering for over three weeks now and after a day or two of adjustments, it’s been successful.
As I mentioned in a previous entry, I have a stash of BumGenius 4.0 and Fuzzibunz Elite pocket diapers. For both diapers, I started using two inserts; it looked absolutely ridiculous. I felt bad for baby as it looked like he was wearing a suit of armour and wasn’t able to move much (not that he was very mobile). So, I went to using just one insert and it was just fine.
Here’s my review of each:
Now, in terms of handling and cleaning, it really isn’t so bad. Other than having to touch the edge of a wet insert, it isn’t very different from handling a disposable. Every other evening, I’ve been throwing them in the wash. I have a front-loading washer and this involves a cold pre-rinse and a hot regular wash with half a scoop of Nellie’s Laundry Soda, followed by an extra rinse, then tumble dried on low. That’s about 2 hours total in the washer & dryer. Then, stuffing the diapers with inserts takes about 10 minutes and I do that while I’m watching TV.
- Cloth diapers need to be changed more often than disposables to prevent leaks and diaper rash.
- If you need to use diaper rash cream, do your research. Most of the popular creams aren’t cloth-diaper safe (they’ll affect absorbency). I used Grandma El’s, which worked fine as it claimed, but it did result in staining.
- The PUL cover of these diapers sometimes bring on heat rash, so try to give baby some “free” time without a diaper or occasionally use a flat diaper with a wool cover to help “air out” his bottom. Apparently, wool is cool, breathable and waterproof.
- Velcro tabs are so much easier to deal with than snaps, especially when you’re half awake for those middle-of-the-night changes
- Fasten those velcro tabs before washing, otherwise that messy poop could get stuck between those hooks and loops.
Overall, I find it simple enough. I’m happy with our decision and I love that we don’t have to worry about running out to buy disposables. Stay tuned for my next update when we start introducing solids. The process will change slightly but I’m hoping it won’t be so bad.