There are so many choices out there for strollers, car seats and travel systems. Before I tackled these options in person, I did a lot of research online and made my list of wants.
- Easy to fold
- Able to go over various terrains
- Able to adjust handle height
- Easy breaking system
- Cupholder for mommy/daddy
- Seat can be front-facing or rear-facing
- Seat can recline and lay flat
Infant car seat must-haves:
- Easy to install
- Front-adjusting harness
- Space saving enough to leave plenty of room in my Mazda hatchback
It was difficult to find a travel system that met all these requirements so I decided to find separate pieces.
My first stroller choice was actually the Summer Infant Fuze. It had all my wants and included accessories, as well as a universal car seat adapter. All that for $299.99US. Unfortunately, the stroller is not yet available in Canada. It is set to arrive at Babies R Us at the end of March 2014 and expected to retail at $469.99CDN for the travel system (and only in the red/black colour). So I contemplated getting it shipped from the US, but shipping would cost almost $200. At $500 (for the stroller alone), this choice was becoming less appealing.
I ended up going with a black Baby Jogger City Versa (because it also offered many nice-to-haves) and the Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat.
The stroller doesn’t include any accessories or the car seat adapter, but I found some great deals. Here’s how:
- Baby Jogger City Versa Stroller – This retails for $429.99CDN, but I found a new-in-box stroller on Kijiji for $300. Note: If you’re not buying from a store, make sure to check the manufacture date. The Versa strollers that were manufactured between May 15 and August 20, 2012 were recalled, and in order to get a replacement part in Canada, you need a receipt.
- Baby Jogger Universal Car Seat Adapter – This retails for $79.99CDN, but I purchased it from Shop.ca and they usually have great promos. I found a discount code for $10 off, so I got it for $69.99.
- Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat – This retails for $179.99CDN, but I found it online for $139.99 and Babies R Us pricematched it, so I was also able to use the $5 coupon that came with my Baby Registry Gift Bag. So the total came to $134.99.
Overall, I saved $248, which came to a total of $531 including taxes for my combo.
I am so happy with my choices. Although I still need to buy the cupholder for my all-important coffee cup, the stroller is awesome. Among the many pluses, it’s easy to maneuver and the canopy is huge and provides SPF 50+ protection. My 9-year-old stepdaughter is also excited and has already been practicing with the easy-fold – and the handle can be adjusted perfectly for her height.
I’m so looking forward to my walks with baby!
If you’re still in search for your perfect stroller, good luck and have fun! There are so many to choose from and try out!