I’ve always liked the look of a peplum dress, but I’ve never seen it on a pregnant woman. I took the risk and made one for my company holiday party. I couldn’t find a maternity peplum dress pattern, so I mixed two different patterns. I took the bodice of the peplum dress by Lekala and used the Erin maternity skirt by Megan Nielsen, which I’ve made several times.
Here are some details:
- Shortened bodice
- Widened bodice’s front darts so the waist measurement matched the skirt
- Added a few inches to the length and width of the peplum
- Added back seam on the skirt to allow for a zippered back
- Omitted the elastics from the skirt
- Thick black knit (sort of a Ponte knit) with grey lace print (thick enough that I avoided having to use lining)
- 60% stretch (10 cm stretches to 16 cm)
- From King Textiles in Toronto
- 22″ black invisible zipper
- Black thread
It took me about 5 hours from start to finish and I love it.